What Every Newbie in Photography Needs to KnowSeptember 17, 2019
What Every Newbie in Photography Needs to Know
Photography is undeniably the trend these days. It is quite evident in almost all sites if you check online. Not only that it is obvious in social media platforms, it is even the same case in ordinary sites. Yes, it seems that marketers value the power of photography as this can explain more of the things, they want to relay to the buying public about their products. This is why if you are planning to be a part of this world, I say that you are just in time. Even if there are already so many photographers, pro or amateurs, there will always be a room for a newcomer.
However, so you can also get your spot in this industry, here are some tips that might pave your path in your quest to becoming a pro in photography:
• Before anything else, you must take time to learn about the basics in photography rules as this can be your foundation in almost every thing. This does not mean you can’t break them and instead, this is so that if you need to break any of them, you will have a creative way in doing it. This is also a good way to learn about some relevant tips and tricks in this profession.
• At the start, the quality of your camera is not all that important. Yes, when you become a pro, you need a high-end one. However, at the moment, you can settle for whatever you have as that is already enough to hone your skills. Buying an expensive camera at your phase is like opening a candy with a sledgehammer.
• Try to work with composition. Don’t just click and click. You also need to make sure that your photos will look good. This might not happen right away, but the bottom line is, exert more effort to make your outputs look better. You adjust the lighting and you can also use other props. In fact, you can experiment a lot of things for that matter. You don’t need to even start taking photos right away. You can first learn the basics on how to compose decent photos. I am pretty sure you will find a lot of suggestions online.
• Most cameras these days come with a number of settings. In fact, even the camera in your phone has a lot of settings as well. Try to study each of them so that you will know what setting is best for this and that. You can even use filters if your camera offers this app. Just make sure that your choice of filter is fit for your subject so that the result will still look real. There are a lot of pictures these days that are too filtered that the viewer will right away know it is not natural anymore. You should avoid doing that.
• When highlighting some of the features in your photo, you have to make sure it will not be overdone. As mentioned above, it might look fake. It might be easier if you are using the phone in your camera but with the photographer’s camera, this can take a lot of time to master. You really have to take the time to learn each of the function in your choice of camera and you can try taking shots in each of them as well. This way you will know which is best for your particular subject.
• Light is one of the many factors that can greatly affect your picture. Thus, it would surely help you a lot if you spend more time learning how to use this. Professional photographers already know what angle they should take the shot from so that the lighting can help them in producing excellent pictures. This should also be one of your goals. How to use the light the enhance your pictures. One thing you can do is pay attention with the direction as well as the softness of the light. Note that harsh lighting can ruin your pictures as this can create bad shadows.
• If you are not careful, you can easily make mistakes when it comes to photography and to think that you are just a newbie at that. So, don’t be in haste and take your time in taking pictures. As you are just learning the ropes, don’t think big right away. You have to go through the process step by step and don’t be frustrated if after some time, the result is still not as you expected. Don’t think that you are hopeless right away as those who are already a pro in this also have a hard time at the start.
• When you are taking pictures, you can easily get stuck in one place. Don’t fall in this same trap. You should move your feet and experiments on different angles. You should be able to distinguish the differences and by then, you will discover yourself how to capture a good picture. Note that if you take the same subject in the same spot, might as well you just take one picture as the rest will just be the same. If this is for your portfolio, the checker will right away know what you did wrong. It is only through moving that you get different results when taking pictures.
• When it comes to taking pictures, a tripod is one of the best things that are invented. This is really every photographer’s best friend. However, not all the time that you will use this and that is why it is your call to decide whether you will tag your tripod along in your gig or not. One thing though, if your subject is usually just stationary, a tripod should be at your beck and call. You will probably need this all the time. Thus, if you want to be a landscape or an architectural photographer, you should always have a tripod with you.
• Another thing that you must be careful with when taking shots is the flash. Yes, though this feature is quite useful during darker environment, but this can also ruin your pictures if you will not be careful. If you are not that pro yet in using flash, try getting an external version and utilize a relatively longer lens like 50mm or even longer at that. Trust me, you will surely get a lot of praises even if you actually have no idea why. Aside from gloomy environment, flashes can also be used excellently during midday. Yes, as they can fill ugly shadows and your viewers won’t even realize that you are using one.
• Always make sure that your lens is clean before starting clicking your camera. Most of the time, when your lens is smudgy, the result is all blurry. In fact, you can be assured of this. This is why it is a must that you must wipe your lens clean every day. This will not just help you get better pictures, at the same time, this will also in a way protect your equipment. We all know that dusts come with different crawling bacteria that our naked eyes can’t see. They might not be able to crumble your hard camera, but they can certainly cause discomforts on your part and even health complications at that in time. A handy microfiber cloth should be perfect.
• Don’t afraid to make mistakes as you will have a lot of that. Those who are ahead of you have made a handful of them as well. However, you must learn from your every mistake. This way, you might not perfect it right away, but at least it will not be as worse as your first. This is the only way that you can level up. Without committing such mistakes, you will hardly know how you did the things right.
• Though you are just a newbie and is expected to be still careless, you can surprise your clients who trust you about your professionalism. Yes, show them that even if you are just new in this industry, they can count on you. You should arrive on time and ready. By ready, it means that you have everything you need to provide the services they hire you for. Not only that, you must have some back up plans like extra batteries and so on. This way before you call it a day, they are satisfied!
• If you want to focus on something, you can consider using a wider aperture. This should do the trick and remove all the destruction from your subject by blurring out those that are needed to be blurred out. An aperture like f/2.8 or f/5.6 should be good enough for this purpose. Well, you can go wider, but you really need to be cautious when taking the shots as something might not come out right.
• Just like when you take a video, you need to hold on to the equipment properly and avoid hand movements. This will surely make your output unusable. The same thing can happen if you are taking shots. Well, there are things you can do to avoid this like increasing the ISO or opening the aperture as this will allow quick shutter speed and thus minimizing the chance of blurry pictures. However, this will not assure your bottom line. The best thing to do is to start learning how to handle your camera properly so that hand movements will be avoided.
Just because you are a newbie does not mean your outputs should be automatically inferior compared to those who are ahead of you. There is still that chance that you produce as great pictures and even better at that. However, you have to do your share of learning how that can be possible. Checking out these tips should be a start.